Saturday, February 13, 2010

V-Day

I love this picture. More precisely, I love this cake. I feel I can relate. It's from cakewrecks. Visit, and love it.

My mother used to berate us for not getting our homework done. That isn't surprising - she's our mother, and that's her job. But then she went back to school, and I have a distinct memory of her sitting sideways in an armchair, glass of wine in one hand, and a book in the other. "I have two hundred more pages left and then I have to write a paper on it for tomorrow," she said.

My point isn't to tell on my mother. On the contrary. My point is to relate and understand. Can you feel the love?

We all have good intentions. I intend to be patient with my children and to make only spectacular meals and to pick up the dry cleaning as soon as it's ready. I intend to return all library books within two weeks. I intend to practice my choir music and to write for my writing group and to not eat the goldfish crackers I bought for the boys. But... you know. Life gets in the way.

I meant to get to NY to see the Dorothy Parker play, but when the time came, I couldn't. There was no huge reason, no big events, the queen was not visiting. But enough was going on that I decided we couldn't fit it in. And I am SO missing out for it.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and there are many things I intend to do. Breakfast, church, choir, writing, make a cake. But I know that not everything will go smoothly. I know that I might spill hollandaise all over the pink sweater I need to wear for choir. Or that I'll wake up with Andy's hacking cough.

But I all I can do is try, right?

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You have always been a success whether you know it or not.

g. fox said...

your trying is so much more than most people's biggest success.

don't beat yourself up about DP. we'll remount it and you can have front row seats! xoxo