Monday, March 01, 2010

All Lit Up

About five minutes after I posted last night the lights came on.

I wish I could say the moment was memorable. That suddenly a whirring picked up, that we went from dark to a brilliant explosion of light that left us shielding our eyes. But no. Instead, Steve went into the kitchen to get some ice cream and stood there, wondering what had changed. And it was the lights!

I was very happy, and immediately started doing laundry.

I am embarrassed by the tone of my last post. It was supposed to be funny in an overwhelmed and self-pitying sort of way. Instead, as I read it over, it came across just self-pitying and bitter. And I suppose I was. But now that we're all good and healthy, eating ice cream and turning on closet lights, I feel much better. And it all seems very minor.

Of course, I still know people that are living without power, without water, and without heat. And they are unhappy. So... I just realize how lucky we are.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ahh, yes, doing laundry always makes me feel better too, especially when I take it next door to the Chinese laundry & Evelyn & her sister, Lee, hand it back to me a few hours later all sweet-smelling & folded. I wish they would come put it away too, but then I would have to let them see the state of my apartment!