Wednesday, March 31, 2010

To Hell And Back

I went to Tennessee.

The purpose of the visit was to be there with my mother and assist her in bringing up the topic of Assisted Living with my Aunt Betty. We planned on visiting a few facilities to find out what the options are, and perhaps even decide on the Perfect Place.

Although I knew this was a difficult decision and that it would be rough, I didn't expect what we got. Mom and I both wimped out during the initial conversation, going all soft, positioning it as an information gathering quest for a far off date. Then the places themselves were less than assuring. The first place we went to had zero mobile people, and many of them were drooling. And the guy giving us the tour kept talking about activities, the Christmas party, and asked Betty if she played Bingo.

Anyway, when we reached the places, Betty kept telling us she'd wait in the car. And we saw the last place without her. She was so tired.

All of that seems pretty irrelevant, though. Because she had a heart attack the morning I left. Mom took her to the hospital, all that fun stuff. She'll be there for a few days. I'm not sure what the next steps will be.

But I did make it home.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

:( I'm glad you were there. That's really all I can say. How dreadful

LARISSA said...

Sorry to hear that your aunt had a heart attack, but thank God your mom was still there!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Poor Aunt Betty. I'm glad you & your Mom were there for her. I am sure she loved seeing Andy!

Susan's Losin' said...

What a difficult trip and outcome. The hardest thing my sisters and I did was move my mom into assisted living. It was downhill from there. But what was the alternative? So difficult. You were great to be there for your mom and your Aunt Betty.

Perhaps there is a blog or many blogs being written about this topic?