Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anne-E / Rainforest Cafe



Today is my sister Anne-E's birthday. Happy Birthday, Anne-E! I love you lots!

Today is also the day of Nathan's Birthday Party. He said he wanted to go bowling. I called the bowling alley to schedule the party. He asked me how many people and gave me a time. And that was it. "We'll see you 10 minutes before the party" the guy said. They are supposed to be taking care of the pizza, the bowling, the cake, and the balloons. I am terrified that we'll show up and no one will be ready. It will be us and the 20 kids who have RSVPed.

On his real birthday MLK day, we went to the Rainforest Cafe. If you have never been to one of these places, you are missing out. Kind of. It's overstimulating in every possible way. Everything is green and leafy and busy to look at. Wait staff walk around talking into headphones. There is a very loud waterfall and very loud jungle background noise. There are robot animals scattered around the place that move every so often. Every half-hour there is a thunder storm, which is useful for telling just how long it is taking them to bring you your food, and each time it happens half a dozen toddlers begin screaming in terror.



The boys love it.

There is also a gift shop, and the boys love the gift shop. In fact, I told Nathan that I would buy him something from the gift shop as a gift. I also let Andy and Nick buy something with their own money.



The best part was dessert. Because it was his birthday, we got the chocolate volcano. It's foun large slices of brownie surrounding scoops of vanilla ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate and caramel sauce. It looks for all the world like a volcano. The waitstaff all started clapping and snaking around the place until they reached out table and sang a non-copyrighted version of a Happy Birthday tune to Nathan.

I have never seen him look so absolutely terrified.

But as soon as they left it was just him and the volcano. We all helped him eat it. This is the best picture I could get - one of the strands of volcano explosion is in his face. But he's happy!



I hope Anne-E's birthday is just as happy!

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

We're all going to dinner with Anne-E tonight. I'm sure everyone will be overstimulated & she'll be as happy as Nate...but no chocolate volcanoes. Maybe we can manage a flaming cocktail of some kind! wish you were here too!