Friday, December 16, 2005


I broke my bread machine.


I always thought if I broke my bread machine it would be some cooking error. Like, I would accidentally put in Elmers glue instead of milk, and the resluting cement-like mixture would cause a circuit overload. Or I would try to make bread with something like dried cranberries, which would stick to everything goo everything up.

But no.

I just broke the machine making white bread.

My second loaf of white bread in over a year.

I'm so upset, too. Because I was finally putting this machine to good use. I really, really wanted this machine when I got it, and I was so happy that I was using it again, and that it was so easy to make good bread. My parents got this for me for Christmas, oh, many years ago. It is a really nice breadmachine. William-Sonoma. It can make dough, bread, cake... almost anything. And until last week we were using it as a barrier we could put the cat food behind, so that dog wouldn't get to it up there on the counter.

And this afternoon, not half an hour ago, I put in all the ingredients for white bread. I did not use cranberries or Elmer's glue. I set the machine to the right settings, and I pushed it back so that it wouldn't tumble off the counter.

Guess what?

It tumbled off the counter anyway.

That's right. It jumped and shuffled a full foot in under fifteen minutes and landed head first into the dog's water dish. It was still running. Pressing buttons to stop ot wouldn't work. The plastic casing is broken. I tried unplugging it and replugging it, but then it picked right up again where it had left off...

One day, when I have a bread machine to replace it, I will laugh at this. But in the meantime I wonder why, why, oh why, can I not have one machine that does not fall apart on me, or that I do not accidentally break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh NO! forgive me for laughing a little - the build up was priceless. no bread for the hopeful this season, it seems. perhaps it was angry there weren't any cranberries inside for the baking?

pman misses you.

billy blanks annoys me now, too.

i love you!

mo