Thursday, December 08, 2005

Who are these Savages?

"Life Among the Savages" is a book written by Shirley Jackson in - I think - the late 40's. Remember Shirley Jackson? She wrote the short story "The Lottery" we were all forced to read in high school? Remember? The one where the town residents pick someone to stone to death for apparently no good reason?
If you remember the short story, you might remember that it was a little twisted.
"Life among the Savages" sounds like it might be that twisted.
But guess what?
It's not.
People trying to find blogs about savages or dark and evil satanic rituals will be very dissapointed.
Actually, it's about this woman and her husband who move with their two kids from the city to a rural Vermont town. She must deal with snow and cars and kids and shopping, and the flu and a billion other little things we all actually have to face sooner or later (unless you live in Florida - then the snow thing doesn't really apply, and I am jealous because there is a foot of snow on my lawn at this moment.)
Anyway, I picked this name for my Blog because I found these stories funny, and very true to life. I live in a house in New Hampshire - not that far from Vermont. I also have a husband and a child and soon will have two. I may complain about the fact that I spent hours making a gingerbread house that looked like a shack, but I can still get angry when the dog eats it. And that's OK. It's life.
My goal is to find humor in the everyday things that irritate me. Not that I could express it as she did, but still... I do my best.

No comments: