Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I don't know if it's late pregnancy hormones or just lack of sleep (have you tried sleeping with a bowling ball inside your uterus?) but I have turned into a total grump.

Not just a grump, either, and not just today. All this week I have been crying at TV commercials, at passages in books, at things I hear on the radio - one item made me cry so much I gave myself a bloody nose as I was wrapping gifts! That festive red stuff on the gift tag? Yeah - don't go there, and I won't either.
And when I'm not crying over some stupid thing I'm complaining. I heard myself speaking to Nick this afternoon and I thought "Does one usually get so upset at an 18 month old?" I mean, yeah, he may have just pulled all the books off the bookshelf in my bedroom as I was trying to fold laundry. He may be walking around with a zip-lock bag of sharpies he refuses to give up, and he may have just made a break for it while I made an attempt to put away the towels... but... I just hated the way I sounded.

I had pretty much figured out I was going to be grumpy by the time Steve got home from dinner. Nicholas was tantruming all over the place, as is his custom when he skips his afternoon nap (which I highly encouraged him to take by leaving him in his crib for 90 minutes - but he is stubborn.) And I was making Hamburger Helper... AGAIN. But it's something fast I can make while holding 25 pounds of screaming boy.

And now? Now I'm grumpy. I'm grumpy I got two christmas cards returned in the mail. I'm grumpy my electric bill is so high. I'm grumpy I have bills at all. I'm grumpy that I have to go up and wrap gifts before I can climb into bed and go to sleep. I'm grumpy because I know I'll spend the night waking up to pee, or trying to roll over to my other side, or reaching for the TUMS...

Have I mentioned that I am ready to have this baby?

No comments: