Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Clickety Clackberry, Pick me a Blackberry


Yesterday we spent a little more time outside than usual, due to the fact that it was actually cool for part of the day. I had the bright idea that we could pick some blackberries, because we've got these blackberry bushes growing in our yard, and if we don't pick them they will just end up going bad, right?

So I handed Nicholas this little blue bucket and led the way to the side of the yard, where we began our inspection for good berries we would actually eat.

I started off by plucking a few off and handing them to Nick, or plunking them in the bucket myself. It was then that I realized we were standing in around the same spot I had dumped the weeds a couple of weeks ago, potentially the area I had picked up poison ivy. Naturally, I began looking around like crazy, trying to spot the offending plant. Ironically, every time I thought I had spotted it, I realized it had blackberries growing on it.

It took Nathan three seconds to push me into a prickly blackberry bush, and one additional second to realize he could eat the berries right off the bush. When I tried to show him how to put the berries in the blue bucket, I realized the blue bucket was empty. Nicholas was not empty.

We did manage to get back to the house with a handful of berries, but at some point during the afternoon Nathan got a hold of it, and all that was left was one smooshed blackberry at the bottom and a whole lot of blackberry on Nate's face.

Today, we shall be purchasing some berries at the grocery store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, but that memory you can't buy at the store!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Yes, but you have taken that first step to making them self-sufficient! If they can pick blackberries, they will never go hungry!