Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Letter Writing


Last year, after my incident at Nice airport, I wrote a letter to Delta complaining. I had never done anything like that before, and I was surprised when they called me on the phone and offered me skymiles to make-up.

Of course, offering me skymiles is like offering me monopoly money, only it's less useful. You can't really get anything with skymiles, except for, apparently, magazine subscriptions. What I want is an upgrade to first class, or a free ticket, or maybe even half off a ticket. Something I can appreciate.

Anyway, this hasn't stopped me from writing a second letter this year based on the horror that we encountered at JFK on our way to Nice. I wasn't going to do it, but then I read this wonderful article in SKY magazine on the way home about how Delta was improving it's customer service at JFK, adding all sorts of wonderful features, people walking around to answer questions, self-checkin kiosks, shops, cafes, etc. and I could feel the rage all over again, because all of that doesn't mean DOODLEY if the guys with the guns are making you stand in a line for four hours and won't let you in the stupid terminal, and I don't care how many cafes they have, it doesn't mean a thing if the person behind the counter checking us in resents our very existance and is allergic to smiling.

So I'm writing another letter this year, and sending it not only to Delta, but to SKY magazine and the General Manager of JFK (which is really the Port Authority, so why am I surprised that it's a mess.) I'm including a copy of the article and copies of some pictures Lillian took of the line! I can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Yes! You do it! And tell them that you will fill the kids with sugar & make sure to pinch them every 30 sec all the way across the ocean next time you fly!! Then everyone on the flight will suffer & write more letters to them!

Jamie said...

Maybe it will pay off and they will give you something USEFUL for free. Not like that time when Emily was 10 and she wrote a letter complaining to M&Ms for selling candy that most definitely melts in your hands. They ignored her completely.