Friday, November 16, 2007

Insanity Of Youth

I took both my kids to Target yesterday.

Every single time I do this I come home ranting and raving and promising myself I will NEVER DO IT AGAIN! But somehow I always forget.

It was supposed to be a simple trip. I had a short list. Humidifier, pillows, cleaning product, hats and gloves for the boys.

And it started well. I found the pillows right off, but the humidifiers took a few moments because I don't know anything about them and actually had to READ and CHOOSE and make an INFORMED CHOICE and then some lady tried convincing me I needed to buy a filter and some cleaning fluid, even though I knew the model I ended up with had no filter and I've never had to get that cleaning fluid before...

Then we made a trip past the Holiday Displays - just to see - which prompted a mother to ask me how old my kids were, and how much space was between them, and how much space between the next two, and yadda yadda yadda... and at this point there was no more space in my cart because pillows, though fluffy, take up a lot of room, so Nicholas was walking, and Nathan was trying to climb out of the cart.

So when I finally went to get hats and gloves I needed to grab them and GO, but with Nick I now have no idea if I should be looking in "Infants and Toddlers" or "Boys." Besdies this, the wonderful Target people have taken the ONE AREA, the Toddler clothing area, where parents will most need to wheel their carts around, and spaced the racks six inches apart from each other. I could hardly fit my fat pregnant belly between them, let alone the cart, with Nathan screaming and grabbing at the clean clothing, wiping his snotty nose of every item he could find.

And speaking of finding, I never DID find the hats and gloves for Toddlers. Apparently they are meant to freeze, or parents are simply supposed to keep them indoors. And the hats for boys may fit Nick (and Nate, for that matter) but the gloves are WAY too big. But I was irritated and so I just left, with no gloves, but with a Diego umbrella which we apparently could not live without.

It started pouring rain as we walked to our car. Nate fell asleep on the way home, and then once we got there both he and Nick screamed over the umbrella until I put it away. Alone, I can accomplish anything. With my kids, I create chaos wherever I go.

2 comments:

Debs said...

I haven't been to Target yet, but I've been to Walmart, and today we went in Kohls.

Debs said...

And the Walmart experience was with four boys (and two of us adults) and we managed to lose two of them for a little while.