Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Time Change



Here is a fuzzy video of he boys just before Trick or Treating. By camera batteries were shutting down, so I didn't have time to fuss around with things like, oh, focus.

What I wanted to comment on was the Time Change. I understand the concept of Daylight Savings, and that we but our clocks back to make the most use of the sunlight we've been given, to save energy, blah blah blah... but honest to God, I do not understand how this is supposed to work.

See, to me, the total number of daylight hours simply does not change. I wake in the dark. I go to sleep in the dark. No matter how you move things around, the dark is there. It won't change. Except possibly for a couple of weeks in the summer, the kids wake up before the sun. So... lotta good it does me.

But as far as being a pain int the neck? Yeah. The Time Change is that. Because Nick and Nate do not understand the concept of actual TIME. As it was, they were waking up a good hour before their "It's OK To Get Up" alarm went off. So now, instead of waking at 5:30, they happily awake at 4:30 and begin their routine of thumping up and down the hall and quietly jumping off the bed so that the house shakes. The pets, who also have no concept of Daylight Savings, register the fact that the household has begun to wake up. The dog begins to lick himself loudly. The cats begin to chase each other up and down the hall. After a few moments of the adults remaining unresponsive, the cats begin their pitiful meowing in the hallway, crying out to the heavens that they are being starved! Starved! By their own people!

And this is why I hate daylight savings. And the Time Change. Because the adjustment period is so incredibly long and stupid and incomprehensible to small children and animals. And that forces me to get up early.

6 comments:

Debs said...

I really don't get it either. And at this time of year you get people campaigning for us (UK) to be on British Summer time in the winter, and go forward an extra hour in the winter. It's something to do with safety and people and cars and stuff in the evenings. But come on people, that would mean that in London we would not actually be on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), would it still be GMT if we were never actually on it?! It just makes no sense.
This is what we've got people, just deal with it. And if you can't deal with it move somewhere else!

Thank you Kathleen for my change to vent with you on this issue :-)

Debs said...

(that was meant to be stay on BST in the winter, and go forward an extra hour in the SUMMER)
got carried away in my argument that I failed to notice I'd written totally the wrong thing!

Debs said...

Oh, and i love the video. Especially the big where Nate says tigger and bounces :-)

LARISSA said...

i love the video!! "Tigga!!!"

Jamie said...

aww, tigger. When I was in Thailand, I actually remembered when daylight savings was supposed to happen but didn't realize that Thailand doesn't observe daylight savings. So I'd be the only one in town who wound his clock a full hour backwards to be late for work no particular reason.

I'm sorry you're so sleep deprived :(

HP said...

But just think, when the clocks go the other way the kid's might actually stay asleep til the right time!!