Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Back To Square One


A few weeks before Nicholas was born I scrubbed the staircase banister. Since then I've dusted it, but that day I took soap and water and a cloth and I rubbed and scrubbed and polished. It took me hours.

And seriously, we don't have that many stairs.

But I was determined that my child would not live in a place that was sticky, grimy and dirty. What I didn't know was that children are the #2 cause of sticky grime and dirt, coming in just before dogs (#3) and a little behind hurricanes (#1).

I work hard to try and make this home as clean and inviting as it is. And it's hard. And still not very warm and inviting. No matter how much laundry I do, the hampers are always full and someone has no pants. Mopping the floor is an invitation for someone to throw-up all over it. It's very easy to get caught up and forget the whole point. The purpose of all this, of course, is the family. If I don't make the time to spend with them, everything else has lost it's point.

Can someone remind me of this, please, the next time I spend the day yelling?

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Well, the house must be very warm if people are taking their pants off! And I find little people with their pants off are very inviting. Of course, it just gets creepy when they get older.

g. fox said...

re: Linda... I'm going to withhold the obvious comment... (snigger)

Susan's Losin' said...

As you know, I am very big on putting up reminders. Even if it is one word (smile) or a phrase (how many hugs have I given today?), signs help. Also, stay aware. When you are in the midst of yelling, have a way to stop yourself, smile and ask who needs a hug! I wish I had done more of this when I was a raising my kids. Also, remember that lasting memories are about the joy, not the germs or lack thereof!