Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rainy Day - part 2

After the Zooquarium, we still had a huge chunk of day in front of us. And thanks to our breakfast at The Pancake Man, none of us were really hungry. But thanks to one of those touristy magazines you can pick up at rest stops, I knew exactly where it was I wanted to go.
Part of me still thinks Edward Gorey lived in the early 1900's, but he didn't. He actually only died a decade ago (which makes a little more sense, when I think about it), after giving the world works such as The Doubtful Guest, and The Haunted Tea Cosy. And he lived in a house on Cape Cod, only a shirt drive from the place we were staying, actually. And that house has been turned into...Yes! A Museum!
The place is quite small - it's the kind of museum that has a lot behind glass, a lot of pages, and a lot of reading. But it also had a wonderful scavenger hunt based on The Gashlycrumb Tinies, which you should absolutely read, if you haven't already. And the place was decked out in the macabre and the cute, with fake headstones in the garden and a real cat wandering around the place.
I could have spent a lot of time in that museum. But alas, I didn't even finish the scavenger hunt (which I think the boys were supposed to do, but they just weren't into it.) I was alternating looking into the cases and reading about Gorey's artwork and searching for a clue to represent the one that died having fits when I realized that the children running around outside the window were mine. I guess it really isn't a hot spot for preschoolers, but I had a lot of fun.

Then we went to lunch at The Optimist Cafe.

Boy, I wish we had been there for high tea, but we weren't. So the kids (even Steve) had burgers and I had a wonderful salad with gorgonzola and cranberries, and maybe it was the glass of white wine talking, but I think this day was one of the best I had at the Cape.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Oooo, I am soooo jealous! I always wanted to marry Edward Gorey!