Friday, June 11, 2010

Baggage Absurd

Last year we went to France, and I prided myself on how efficient I was at packing for our two week trip. A family of five, and I managed three medium checked bags and three carry-ons. Having been there so many times, and knowing what I can or can't buy there, I can pack only what we will use, wash, and use again.

This year, we are going to Cape Cod. It is only for a week, and close enough so that we could drive back home for anything we needed to, such as medication, a computer, or a child. And since we not only don't have to check bags but don't have to carry them anywhere, either, I have elected to pack our things in laundry baskets. Not knowing what the laundry situation will be like, I chose to bring our own sheets and towels rather than struggle with washing those at the house on our last day. I also wasn't sure how quickly we would find a grocery store, so I went shopping for non-perishables like cereal and cookies and bananas and bread. And soup and mac and cheese and raisins. Since we're driving and not flying, I just packed up our full sized bottles of shampoo and soap and toothpaste, makeup, mouthwash, vitamins. Rain is in the forcast, so besides the swimsuits and kickboards I packed crayons and board games and a larger handful of books. And the dog is coming with us so of course we needed his blanket and food for him, and treats, and his bowl, and two leashes - the short one and the long one.

So for one week at the Cape we have three times as much as for two weeks in France.

Absurd.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You are your mother's child. Have a great time! Take many, many pictures!