Friday, June 25, 2010

Stop, Wait... Weight...

I've lost all the weight I gained with the babies.

I know, I'm bragging a little bit. Hooray for me, it took me 30 months, have a cookie. Finally. But it really was something I had to work at, and I know that I'm older and I'm going to have to keep working to stay where I am. A friend of mine has a weight loss blog which I've been following, and even though most of our circumstances are different (she is older, had had surgeries, wanted to loose more) I find that a lot of what she tries and posts about are useful and keeps me motivated. (By the way, she sheds about 7 pounds to my every one.)

I'm at the point where I don't realistically need to loose any more weight. I'm at my goal. OK, I'll say it, 125. It's pretty good for someone mid-thirties and my height. But somehow, when I look in the mirror, this isn't what I remember 125 looking like. My tummy still sticks out in this really unflattering way. My shorts are either falling off my hips or tight around my middle. I won't go into any more detail, but you get the picture. It isn't what I thought it would be. To be honest, I'm still a little uncomfortable in my skin. And my clothes.

So now I am at a crossroads. Do I just accept that I'm in my thirties and have a different sort of body? Do I keep working out the way I have been? Or "target trouble spots," a practice I despise.

5 comments:

Susan's Losin' said...

Hooray, Kathleen! You did it, and I know you have worked very hard at it. I understand your disappointment about not looking like you did 10 years ago at the same weight, but consider that a small price to pay for having lived such a wonderful life that's included giving birth to 3 magnificent boys. Here's my advice :): be grateful that you reached your goal, and be grateful for how you look today. You will probably not look a lot better as you age, something we forget. Keep up the exercise and the awareness you've learned to employ so that you don't regain the weight. As you know, you are like one of my own and I'm thrilled for you. Since you are leading the way, will you share what you learn about maintaining your weight? That will be my next big challenge.

Jamie said...

Hey Kathleen, that's awesome! Congratulations!! That’s really amazing.

I have to say that as much as I hate targeted approaches to exercise and as painful as they can be, they can be pretty effective. Of course, I’m a dude, I was never pregnant (never mind 3 times) and I’m a little younger than you, but my back is totally screwed up. The spaces between my discs are closing up and doctors tell me I have to strengthen my core so that I don’t get paralyzed later in life. So I’ve been doing lower back and abs classes twice a week and surprisingly, I’m in less pain and my muffin top is actually trimming down in a way that I haven’t seen since I was 19.

I'd recommend it!

priscilla said...

This is great news Kathleen. I didn't know that you had a goal but you did and you've done it! As far as things not being what they used to be in the shape department, I say be happy and optimistic. I'm 61 and while there are things I'd change (like upper arms that wave hello every time I exercise), age really does have gifts. You'll find yours.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Take pictures. You will never be more beautiful as when you look back on old pics of yourself. Somehow we always think we are too fat...until we back look at ourselves from some later point in life & think, "Holy-moly, I was thin!"

Congratulations, you deserve them. Keep it up, but don't forget to have a cookie now & then too.

Anne-E. said...

You are pretty much a rock star! You have never been overweight, but I admire you so much for your discipline, especially when you have 3 young children!

I recommend switching up the workout every few weeks to confuse your muscles. You just never want to get "comfortable" in your workout. That's the mistake that most people make. Once you've mastered a routine, it's time to take it up a notch.

And don't focus so much on how much you weigh once you are in the healthy weight range. Focus on how strong you are. Push-ups are the best way to build strength and they are a good test for how truly fit you are.