Tuesday, June 01, 2010

No Ring To Bind Us All

I still haven't found my engagement ring.

Steve asked me to marry him just before a Halloween party. He was wearing his Karate outfit. I was wearing a dress and a cloak in some strange witches getup. And once I put it on... well, I actually took it off quite a bit. When I was cooking something messy, washing really grimy dishes, working in the yard... when I worked out or showered, or when I was going to the pool, or the beach...

I love that ring.

I have looked everywhere. Uncle George even hooked us up with a metal detector, and I went out and swept the yard, where I was working. I swept the grass. Part of it. I have looked inside, in every small box I own, in every drawer, in every shot glass, money jar, flower pot.

Steve and I were married eight years ago today. And as torn up as I am about that ring, and as sure as I am that I'll be peeking under furniture and under rugs for months to come, I just need to remember that I still have Steve. Which was the point of the ring, right? A symbol of our luuuuuv.

Wow, eight years. I love you, Steve.

4 comments:

Debs said...

It may be cos I was reading it at 3am, but I was slightly confused by the line that said 'and when i put it on...' and then talked about all the times you took it off again. And then i realised you meant the ring, and not the witches costume!

I hope you manage to locate the ring soon :)

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Happy Anniversary, Kathleen & Steve! The ring will turn up eventually -- or Gunther ate it!

Jamie said...

DE PREEESHHIOUS!!

Happy Anniversary!!

g. fox said...

Somebody start metal detecting Gunther's poop!