Friday, June 04, 2010

Pre Potty

In order to begin "school" in September, Andrew must be potty trained.

I am so emotionally torn about this.

On one hand, I think expecting a child to be potty trained by three is optimistic at best, especially a boy, and Andy is younger than that. I think, ideally, a child will start when he's ready and shouldn't be pressured.

On the other hand, Andrew knows what to do, and has done it on a few rare occasions. The diapers cost money, are bad for the environment, and quite honestly I am so tired of changing them because I have only had a handful of days of in the past SIX YEARS and I am SO READY for a day without a messy poop I could SCREAM!

Of course, with potty training, its really out of my hands. It's Andy who is going to have to take control and decide to do this. All I can do is encourage him and convince him it's in his best interest. I have resorted to bribery, offering m&m's and lollipops. I have explained that the classroom he loves so much is only for boys with no diapers. Or pull-ups. And he agrees with me and parrots these lines back to me while I'm changing him in the bathroom.

And some days it seems like we're so, so very close. As though it might happen by the end of the week and I'm going to be stuck with a cabinet full of Diego and Clifford pull-ups. And then other days I realize we could keep going on like this for another year. or forever. FOREVER. in DIAPERS FOREVER! AHHHHH!

1 comment:

Lou said...

Seriously? That's awfully early for them to require that. Where the heck is this?