Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cape Cod


We just got back from Cape Cod.
It sounds odd saying that. I never pictured myself as the kind of person that went "to The Cape" or anything. Also, I may as well say something like "I went to New Jersey" because the Cape is actually HUGE. I mean, it would take you hours to drive to Provincetown from Woods Hole.

Anyway, we managed to walk away from a church auction with a week at this house in South Yarmouth. We had our choices of weeks in June or September, and I decided a week at the end of school was better than at the start, at least for these little guys.

And so there we were. I really didn't know what to expect, but I have to tell you, I had a fabulous time, overall. It was cold and rainy a lot, but we still got in some beach time. We did some really fun things, which I shall tell you about in future posts. We ate out a lot so I had very few dishes to do. I saved up all the laundry for when we got back.
And the house we stayed in... it wasn't on the beach, but had a dock by the river. It's one of these houses built in the 1800's, added on to over time. The staircases were steep and narrow. The bedrooms had sloped ceilings and you had to walk through bathrooms to get to them, or in some cases through one of the 7 bedrooms to get to the bathrooms. I grew up in a large house, but it was fairly simply laid out. You couldn't really get too lost or disoriented. But this house was very confusing, and more than once I found myself startled at not being where I thought I was when I got to the bottom of a staircase.


It was a beach house, and an old beach house at that, but the furniture was old and sturdy, and the screened porch wrapped around the side of the house. Even when we weren't doing anything, I felt like we were someplace really cool.

And now we're back.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

What a beautiful, cool house -- did the boys play hide-&-seek in it? It sounds like a great vacation -- glad you were able to get away!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

PS LOVE the new look of the page!!

g. fox said...

Oh my god, lady. My mom is staying at her cousin's place on the Bass River in South Yarmouth for the summer. I can't believe I didn't know you were there! I could have given you the skinny on the good fried clam/ice cream/mini-golf establishments!