Monday, August 02, 2010

Homework

When I decided to have the boys sit down every day and do a little work at home, I thought I might be asking too much of myself. I have gotten the boys these workbooks in the past, and they never followed the directions. "I don't feel like writing this, so I'm just gonna color it red!"

But I made little homework charts, showing the boys where each sticker would go for the math book, letter book, etc. And then I told them that, once the chart was filed with stickers, they could trade it in for an ice-cream cone or a cupcake at the cupcake place.

So then, when I got the "I don't want to count how many, I'm just going to scribble on the page" I would say "OK, but then you won't get a sticker for the job, and you won't have enough for an ice-cream on Friday." And it worked!

We've now gotten to the point where Nate sometimes asks to do homework on the weekend and we don't always even remember to do the stickers. But the boys all sit and do a little work every morning.

Except Andy, who sometimes sits and scribbles, and sometimes practices with safety scissors, but also sometimes goes in the other room to play trains.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Oooo! This sounds just like Nanny 911 -- you are a genius! That must be where Nate gets it from!