Friday, August 06, 2010

I Want To RIde My Bike

I thought it would be a nice idea if I took the boys to the park to ride their bikes.

We usually ride bikes in the driveway, but that leaves the boys riding in circles before they lose patience and just ride down the hill. When I was a kid we lived on a dead-end street and we'd just go riding out there. When we got older, we'd ride around the streets of suburbia, with neither destination nor helmets on our heads. It was wonderful. My kids aren't getting within ten feet of the street we live on. Not even as teenagers. It's a different place, and a different time. I wouldn't even ride a bike on this street unless I had to.

So I took them to the park. Nick chose his scooter, which was great. He could go fast, zip back and forth, and have a great time. Nate chose his "big bike" with the training wheels. He does very well. I watched them from behind, because I was busy with Andrew. Andy was on the tricycle. Andy refuses to use the pedals, but like to scoot himself with his feet. He also refuses to steer, which means he ends up in the grass or bumping into other people, people he didn't see because he's actually looking behind him.

I ended up with my hand on the handlebars, pushing him along. It's no wonder he doesn't like to pedal. We were going rather slowly, but the pedals were flying. He'd have to pedal at supersonic speed just to keep up with Nate.

It was fun, but I don't think we're quite ready for the full length bike ride yet. Maybe one day. When Andy's legs are longer.

1 comment:

g. fox said...

Didn't Nicholas also refuse to do the whole pedaling thing for, like, ever? How cute!