Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Naptime News

Despite being allowed to sleep in until about 6am every morning, I tend to become exhausted by noon. I've always hot a bit of a slump in the afternoons, even before I had children. But now I'm very used to there being a naptime to depend on.

The trouble is, the kids outgrow naptime. Parents do not. My own parents, in fact, are avid nappers. Steve crashes on the couch frequently. And I curl up with the boys and steal sleep when they go down. Or used to, because these days when I say "we are having lunch, and then we are taking a nap!" the older boys shout "not me! I'm not tired!" And then I have to try to convince them to just stay in bed for a few hours while Andy sings and repeats conversations from earlier in the day and finally settles down.

Seriously, if I curl up with them, I will fall asleep before they will.

Once Andy's asleep, whoever is still awake is staying awake. Sometimes Nick and Nate will already be asleep, and when that happens I have to clamp my hand over my mouth to keep my gleeful cackling from leaking out and waking the lot of them.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Naps are good!!! Do you think a "rewards-for-naps" program might work with the boys??