Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pack Rats

I start packing for vacations weeks early.

I try not to. I really do. Wait, Kathleen, I say to myself. Wait until a week before. Wait until there are fewer days TO the trip than there is IN the trip.

So I try. I start by making lists. I make a list of things to bring on the plane. I make a list of things I will need. A list of things the boys will need. I start making piles of things to bring.

And then I realize I'm packing already, like it or not.

In my case, it's a little different. We have space issues. I have been asked to repack my luggage because it was too heavy. And we need to bring three booster seats with us, which I insist on putting in the luggage, as we can't use them on the plane.

But still, a week before the vacation I have placed all the clothing we will being in the suitcase. I didn't want the boys to wear it and for me to not have time to launder it before the trip, see? This poses a problem because it leaves less clothing to be worn UNTIL the trip. The boys are now alternating between ragged pairs of cut-offs and long pants.

But I am ready to go. If I needed to walk out of here in an hour, I could do it. Half an hour! Twenty minutes might be pushing it.

No comments: