Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reading

I know I have gone on and on about how wonderful I think our library is.

Every summer, the library has a reading program. Every five books gives the child a raffle ticket and they can win T-shirts and toys and other things. We won tickets to StoryLand two years in a row, and have a Summer Reading T-shirt for every year going back to 2008!

This is the first year that Nick is in the "Big Kids" program. Up until now, he has gotten credit for every book I have read to him. This is the way it is for his brothers. And since I read them each a book at night, that's three books right there.

But this year, he has to read the books himself.

The books are supposed to be "at his level" and this is where Nick and I butt heads. He insists that he hates chapter books, and refuses to read them. While I wouldn't force him to read Pater Pan or even the Bakugan books he has forced me to red over the past few years, I do think he has the ability to muster through Frog And Toad. He disagrees.

In fact, when it's time for him to read, he routinely pulls over books that Nathan can read without much difficulty. Books with one word on a page. We spend a lot of reading time with me telling him he needs to choose something else, and him crying and telling me I am mean.

Unless, of course, he picks out Barbie and The Diamond Castle from the library. It's a level 2 reader, and he loves it, even though the story makes me GAG. Who said having all boys would get me out of this girly princess stuff? At least the levels are tolerable and dampened by karate and boy fighting games.


2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

It's all good. Remember, as long as he's reading, it doesn't matter what he reads! Although I'm not sure which would be worse for me as a reader-aloud, the Bakugan type literature or the sacchrine-sweet fairy princess/Barbies! You are the best Mommy in the world!

Emily J. Wood said...

I love this.