Friday, July 01, 2011

Spending Time

I told myself that this summer I would spend more time with my children.

Not time doing homework, or yelling at them to clean up. I wanted to spend some time actually playing with them. Building legos or painting, or playing house. Despite the fact that I stay at home, I don't do that very often.

So I told myself that rainy weather gives me that opportunity, and I tried. I declared one rainy day "car day" and told the boys I would help them reconstruct all the Hot Wheels tracks and train tracks. These tracks usually get put together once, and then sections of tracks get left all over the house, get used as swords, etc. and rarely do they ever get built again.

The boys were thrilled. But impatient. I tried, I really tried, but after an hour and a half I realized that they boys were playing without me. I was just getting frustrated because bits of track were missing, and because Andy kept asking me to fix the same section of track over and over again.

Next time I'm going to do painting. Maybe that will go better?

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Actually that's exactly the way the 'experts' say it should go! You start playing with them & then they continue playing by themselves...but they remember that you played with them!! Hooray!! You are the best Mommy!!!