Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mommy = Pack Mule

As part of our pre-Christmas holiday festivities, we are usually invited to Steve's Uncle's house for a Holiday get together. This year it was on a Sunday, and because it didn't quite make sense to go back home, we left for the party right after church.

Almost as soon as we got in the car, Nicholas asked me to hand him his 3DS. We don't let the boys play them at church, even before the service, during the choir rehearsal, but since Steve's uncle lives an hour away we told them they could play the things in the car.

Only I didn't remember Nick giving me his 3DS. "Are you sure you gave it to me?" I asked. "Because I'm looking in my bag and it isn't in here." Nope, I definitely did not have Nick's 3DS. Nick began to cry, sudden;y faced with two long car rides and NOTHING TO DO.

And I got irritated. Lets forget my kid's over-reaction, just for a moment. Forget the hours I spend in the backseat of a car squabbling with four siblings over one walkman and the 2 tapes we had (Billboard's hits of the 50's and REM's Green). Let's pretend Nick just shrugged his shoulders and then stared out the window for the whole ride.

Why the heck should I have his stupid DS?

Getting into the car from church, I had been carrying 4 coats - mine, and one for each child. I had three plastic bag of items from the Holiday Sale - one for each child. I had a small paper plate with a decorated gingerbread man cookie on it - the icing was still wet. I had a small paper plate with a painted candy cane ornament on it - the paint was still wet. I had a paper Santa beard with cotton balls glued all over it - the glue was kind of still wet. I also had my own bag with my wallet and my choir music.

See, my kids think it's OK to just hand me stuff. I'm supposed to be some sort of octopus, I guess, because I simply don't have that many arms. When I try and slow them down and explain that I can't carry this stuff - especially when we're at church or a party with other things and people to distract them - I can't even get them to look at me. It's infuriatingly obvious that they don't hear a word I'm saying, even though every other adult in a mile radius can hear me perfectly.

Even getting into the car that morning was a trial. I got my choir bag. And my coat. Then we have to remind the kids to wear coats, because they don't seem to realize it's winter. Then I had to bring the special "guest" box the church handed out before Thanksgiving. I grabbed my phone. Steve called out "Don't forget the GPS and the address" and I also remember I meant to bring a book for Steve's cousin. And the little boys are asking for snacks for the ride down - can I bring a candy cane? Can I bring this chocolate covered graham cracker?

I had so much to bring that I left a whole stack of things on the table. My phone, the book, the address (which I remembered anyway) and, of course, Nick's 3DS.

From now on I'm putting my foot down. Not Responsible.


This is, apparently, how Steve operates. He took the boys to Karate on Friday, and no one quite remembers where Nick's winter coat is. He's been wearing Nathan's. Good thing we have an extra.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

This new resolution will take some doing on your part. It is not easy to relinquish other people's happiness & that is what you have been carrying all along. You kind of realise that b/cs when you don't have something, the other people (little people usually) are extremely upset, upset to tears. They will stop eventually & also remember their own stuff. So, just stick to it...most of the time.