Friday, December 30, 2011

Achilles Heel

I love running.

OK, I'm not actually a big fan of running while I'm running, but when I stop, I love that I do it. I love that I CAN do it. I love how I feel, I love the strength it gives me.

Lately, I've been experiencing some pain in my calf. Not a severe pain, but in the morning it's tough to walk at first. It's stiffness, really. I have been blaming new shoes, ones with more of a heel than I usually have.

The other night I was rubbing my foot when I found a lump. It was right there on the back of my leg, the lower part of my calf. And even though it was small, it was a definite lump. I even checked my other leg to see if maybe this wasn't the way my leg was actually shaped and I'd just never noticed before. But not, it was only on this one leg. It didn't hurt when I rubbed it. Well, it hurt when I rubbed it too hard.

I showed Steve, who said "Yeah, it's a lump on your tendon."

THAT was the word I'd been looking for. Tendon. I had forgotten about tendons.

And the next morning I woke and ran, and the leg hurt just a little, but then it felt better so I kept going. But the lump was still there, so I looked it up on the internet.

I think I have Achilles Heel. Only they now call it "Achilles tendonitis." Usually there is no specific moment when people get this.It can be caused by an increase in miles or incline or by not stretching. There can be a lump on the tendon. I figured I don't have the chronic version, only the less severe kind. But if I don't try and fix it, it'll become chronic. Which is more serious and hurts all the time. I don't want that. Especially since the article I was readin talked a lot about the surgery one could get to fix the chronic tendonitis. It even had pictures.

At least I have an excuse for not running for awhile.

I just need to find an alternative. I've decided to try and do a little yoga - I used to do it, but stopped because of time. Maybe after while I can start something else? I'll get a bike in the spring, but.... I need something NOW!

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Yoga coupled with Pilates is great! I'm sure you can either find a class in your area or a Gaiam tape -- try it out, I think you might like it!