Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Gifts



I read a yahoo article the other day which had an interesting statistic. It said that twice the amount of money was spend at Christmas than it would take to give the entire world access to clean water. How awful IS that?

It's true, when it comes to giving to organizations that provide clean water or food, or whatever, we tend to tighten our pursestrings. And when it comes to Christmas, we tend to spend more than we need. We HAVE to give things to people. And now, even as I'm wrapping the gifts I've bought, I wonder what I was thinking. Will these people actually LIKE this stuff? UGH!

It's a real argument for home-made and charitable gifts. Which I plan on doing NEXT year.
Unless I get carried away again.

There is something I'm rather proud of, though.



It took me 18 months to make, (I stopped working on it for a few months) but still, I'm proud. The top piecing is made of the legs of jeans that were turned into cut-offs, one of Steve's old shirts, my favorite sheet set that got ruined with chewing gum, and some left-over fabric scraps. The batting is made of recycle plastic bottles. I'm less happy with the flip side, but doing this project I learned something about how to make the next one. I gave it to Andy for his birthday. Thoughts? Feedback?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I love it!!!!! Well done :)

Jean said...

Amazing -- a family heirloom!

Susan's Losin' said...

I'm so happy to see that you are sewing again! Remember that first sewing machine? I do! This is a wonderful quilt, Kathleen.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! It's beautiful! I hope you tell Andy about all the items the fabric came from & maybe a little story about sometime you wore this pair of jeans or that shirt!

Debs said...

I love it! Great job :)