Wednesday, April 02, 2008

More

Last night Nathan dislocated his elbow. Remember when Nick did that? And then did it again? Well, I'm happy to share that this time I was not involved. Nathan was playing one of his games with Steve - one of the screaming, hanging, climbing ones - when suddenly he started crying.

I knew something was wrong because, besides not using his arm, during bath time he just SAT there. He didn't splash. He didn't play. He didn't pretend the back of the bathub was a slide, or dump a bucket of water on his brother's head. He just SAT there.

We tried everything to get him to use his arm. Steve let him play Wii. Nate played, but he would only move his fingers. Not his arm.

So I took him to the emergency room. Nate appeared very small, about the height of the trash cans on the room. He was also very brave. He didn't even cry when the doctor popped his arm back.

Steve, of course, was horrified. And I know he was because I remember the feeling - twice - when I did it to Nick.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

little trooper! today i would be kicking and screaming if someone popped a dislocated joint in my body.

Jean C said...

This happened to my son when he was around 2 or so. I went to grab him before he headed into our coffee table and yanked him hard.

Boy, did I feel like a criminal, when the pediatrician told me this very common dislocation was called "nursmaid's elbow".

The worst part was explaining this to my mother-in-law!!!

Glad Nate is OK -- just add this one to the many lumps and bumps of toddler-hood.