Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Own Episode of HOUSE

I'm looking for opinions, suggestions... ideas... help.... Because this thing happened to me last night, and I can't figure out what it was.

The light shines in through our kitchen doors and hits anyone facing them full on in the face. Only during dinner, and only during the sunny part of the year.

Last night, as I was leading the boys up the stairs to take a bath, I suddenly got a headache. I also noticed that my face was hot, as though I were embarassed about something. I helped the kids get undressed and into the tub, and I glanced in the mirror. My face was RED. It looked like I had spent the day in the sun with no sunscreen. Every part of my face was bright red, like my cheeks after a run. My lips were red. My ears were bright red. And my head was killing me.

My first thought was that I was turning red because I was sitting with my face to the sun during dinner. But the redder my face got... well, dinner wasn't THAT long, and this is New Hampshire, not Jamaica. And I just couldn't figure out what was going ON.

Now, dinner had been a bit stressful, I had decided to make something different (tuna steaks) and I had to go about cooking with Andrew screaming in the background (because I was not holding him). Then dinner was less than pleasant (three year olds do not like tuna steaks) (I over cooked the tuna steaks). I DID eat some tuna. I ate onions and garlic and a salad with sunflower seeds and poppyseed dressing. And all of these things I have had before. In abundance. So I couldn't reason it out to being an allergic reaction.

At one point I had myself convinced I was having a stroke. My heart was beating like mad, but that's when I realized I was tense and stressing myself out. So I reclined in my bed, pretended I wasn't breastfeeding Andrew, and took deep breaths while Steve put the boys to bed. And by 7:30 I was my regular, pale and pasty self once more.

Any ideas what the heck happened to me? Because it kind of scared me.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

yikes, definitely get that checked out fleen. it might be nothing- when i was in thailand and my face broke out in purple it turned out to be nothing, but i still had a dermatologist look at it when i came home.

Debs said...

I have no idea, but I agree with Jamie. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. Could you have any sort of phone consultation if you don't want to have to take everyone out?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it could have been an allergic reaction to mercury in the tuna.

Jules said...

Fleen,
Absolutely call your doctor. Explain the symptoms, the order in which they occurred, what you were doing at the time etc. It wouldn't hurt to do so and although we can all make suggestions to what this may have been, really the doctor is the only one who can properly diagnose. Even if just a phone call to explain your symptoms and let her/him decide if they want you to come in.
Especially where the redness and heart palpitations was preceded by a sudden headache. Best to play it safe.

queenmabby said...

I heart nurse julie:)