Sunday, October 26, 2008

Supper

One of the perks of belonging to a church is that we actually get to interact with other people. Sometimes in an organized way.

Yesterday we attended a supper organized by the church. A few people sign up and take turns hosting these meals, and everyone brings something.

I hadn't met any of the people at the supper before - a total of four couples, including us. And I was a bit nervous because I wasn't sure what these people were going to BE like. I am uncomfortable in situations like these. What does one TALK about?

Well, the night began with a conversation about cats. Everyone had a cat story, including us, but as you may know, some people - GOOD people - can have a few more cat stories than one might want to listen to. And this cat conversation went on not exceedingly long, but long enough for me to start thinking that perhaps all we had in common - besides attending the same church - was that we had cats. But I didn't mind too much, because I also had a glass of wine, and after a few moments considering the evening ahead, I decided that I could deal with cat conversation as long as I had wine.

Of course my fears were unfounded. We all love our cats, but there is life beyond that, and we had a fantastic supper with grown up conversation beyond pets, beyond children even, and I had a wonderful time.

3 comments:

mbean said...

that is so great and you SO deserve it!

Jamie said...

I am just getting caught up after a few days of madness, WOW. I feel like so much has happened in the last few days! Andy walking AND you're singing again! Brilliant! I'm so glad to hear this :o)

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

A grown-up supper with new people?! Holy-moly! I can't think of anyone who deserves it more! Though I am jealous a little.