Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Ring Ring

Political Survey People keep calling our house.

I grew up in a house where the phone rang at least once every fifteen minutes. But here, the phone can stay silent for days. It's ring always startles me.

These days, however, we have been getting quite a few more phone calls. The caller ID says they are from FLORIDA or ALABAMA, or sometimes OUT OF AREA. Some are obviously from machines, because when we say hello nothing but silence ensues. But others are from survey takers who would like to ask us questions. I know they are political calls. They ask a bunch of questions about groceries, or Health Insurance. And they don't care when they call. I answered one call at 10pm.

This afternoon a very nice lady told me she wanted to ask me a few questions and then flat out asked "Are you going to vote for McCain and Palin?" I wanted to tell her NO, and then explain how Palin was destroying the universe one interview at a time. But before I did my good sense hit me. "I'd rather not say." I said. "Does this mean you're voting for the other candidate?" she asked? As though saying the name "Obama" would set off an alarm somewhere. "Well", I said," I just don't think it's any of your business who I vote for." Because it really isn't. Some people are proud of who they support, but others want to keep quiet about it to maintain a sense of safety within their community, their workplaces, their families, even. And I do not have to tell her who I support. But the way she's calling and asking makes it so difficult to keep it my own business.

"Oh!" she said. And she sounded surprised. As though this thought hadn't occured to her. "Well then... I'll move on. Do you plan on voting for Shaheen or Sununu?"

Brains, people. Of course I'm blaming the Republican Party. I know she was a McCain supporter because she told me at the end that she knew I didn't want to say, but she hoped they could count on my support anyway! All high pitched and chirpy and I wanted to tell her that hoped I could count on hers! But I didn't. I just hung up. And that's the last time I speak to any of these people. I mean all political survey bothering me pn the phone people. I just have to make it another month.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I had to google Shaheen and Sununu to know what you were talking about. Oh boy. I can't wait till we start getting solicited via cell phone

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hee hee hee! Love your post! Hate the phone people, especially the automated calls!