Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Disney Security


I realized that, in my posts spewing forth Disney Joy, I failed to touch on a topic that I thought would be of some importance. This has to do with Disney's Security, and the fact that they take each person's fingerprints as they enter the park.

I anticipated problems with this because, although I do not feel I ought to give anyone my fingerprints, I am far less likely to make a fuss than Steve. Steve is confident that Disney will sell his fingerprints to the government and fifty years from now, when he happens to pick up the wrong suitcase, he will end up in a government prison because they had his fingerprints on file. So I was sure that, when asked for his fingerprints, he would begin speaking loudly about constitutional rights and shout "Live Free Or Die" as they dragged him off.

But I need not have worried. When we entered the magic Kingdom with adult tickets, Steve and I had to give our fingerprints. I even had to give my fingerprint for Nick when he used an adult ticket. This is supposedly done so that we could not then leave the park at noon and hand the tickets over to another couple. Some of the tickets are for multiple days. It would be less expensive to buy a ten day ticket and then use five days and the let a friend use another five days. The fingerprinting ensures that the same individual is using a ticket for the life of that ticket. Who knows how much money they could use otherwise? But this was only at the Magic Kingdom.

At the other parks the technology had been installed, but either wasn't working or was being ignored. We simply weren't asked to do it, and one lady even told Steve he didn't have to when he tried.

At no point did we give our names. We just gave our fingerprints. So unless they already had them on file - such as when I was fingerprinted for certain jobs I held - they had no idea who I was. I wonder if they are connected to any police databases, so that dangerous criminals could be caught entering the park, if any dangerous criminals ever have the desire to go say hello to Mickey. I'm sure they must, at least a few of them.

When I last went to Disney World, we just waltzed right in. But now they check bags, and take fingerprints, and you end up standing in three lines just to get into the park itself. I understand that corporations and businesses want to be secure and all safe and all that. But part of me also thinks it's sad. Especially about the fingerprinting. That seems to me to be a little over the top.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

It's okay. All the fingerprints are sent directly to me! I save them to use whenever I want to break into a bank, knock over an armoured car, take some gold out of Ft Knox. When I do, I leave behind someone else's fingerprints. I'm just into the C's now, so Steve is safe for a while! Wait til we insert the chip directly into your brain!