Thursday, August 20, 2009

Discomfort

I had a dentist appointment today.

I've posted about my dentist before, but for those that haven't read those entries, let me explain. I found my dentist online while working in Cambridge, when my insurance changed, and I wanted something closer to home. He practices in this little town, in the middle of practically nowhere, in a huge farmhouse. He has no receptionist, or hygienist, it's just him. The waiting room looks like a living room from 1972, except for the large desk and the signs talking about payment. The first time I saw him I sat in the chair and suddenly thought about how my body would be found in the woods years from now...

But I like my dentist. There is no wait. I show up, he's usually ready to go. He gets right to it. I never have to "wait for the dentist" after my teeth are cleaned. Twenty minutes, tops. And he doesn't go on and on about how I need a root canal or gum grafts and such. If I need to do a better job brushing or flossing, he'll say so.

I really hate people poking around in my mouth, so I'm just as happy having it over with quickly. Although if I ever actually need a tooth pulled or need a root canal I may choose one of those places with more people in waiting rooms with a doctor too important to learn your name before putting a hand in your mouth.

But usually, I go alone.

Today, I took my three kids with me.

To make matter a bit worse, and I'm sorry because this is TMI (Too Much Information, Mom) but I kind of had to pee. Only I didn't want to make a big production of bringing the kids in with me, or not, so I just decided to wait.

I'm there, in the dentist chair, kinda needing to pee, with a guy scraping my teeth, listening to my three kids start to argue about the toy that's in the waiting room. I could not have been more uncomfortable.

But then the kids worked it out without tears, and I was finished soon with "Look, Mom! No cavities!" So I guess it wasn't THAT bad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a positive and normal fear, I guess. My brother could relate to you. He felt that way with them too. You know the thing, here in hixson, dentists were usually old people. Old but really pros. He had that same claustrophobic thing during his kid days. But he already overcame those. Yes, his dentist in hixson maybe old and pro, but he's friendly too. He even had given us free dental check-ups – up to now. He also became a family friend and a father.