Friday, August 21, 2009

End Of The Summer

It is not, actually, the end of the summer. In fact, here in New England, the summer has just begun. The problem is that we have set our calendars and our internal clocks to have this be "Back To School Time." It is supposed to be fall. Leaves are supposed to fall, the air crisp itself, and sweaters and cute plaid skirts emerge from the closet.

But things don't work that way, do they? No, instead, the seasons have shifted. "Summer" as in hot, humid, shorts and T-shirt weather lasts until about October, which is when the leaves really fall and the air crisps. And snow, heavy snow, won't really be expected until January, despite the "White Christmas" songs and tales of early storms.

Sure, Nature surprises. But sometimes I feel as though we expect it to conform to the grid I have posted on my kitchen wall. Pools ALWAYS close in mid-August, they say. Even though the heat and humidity waited until them to show up. And just try buying a cute summer outfit right now. No - this is the time to stock up on sweaters and boots, even though the thought is making me ill because I am so overheated.

I do have to say that I'm looking forward to the start of school. I have been planning, anticipating the details, plotting ways to make things run smoothly - which kid gets picked up first, which day is best for gymnastics, the library, food shopping, the pool, how to get Nick fed and dressed and at the bus stop by 7:50 AM...

Watching Nick get on that bus. THAT is going to be hard. Summer won't be the only thing that's over.

2 comments:

Susan's Losin' said...

Oh, Kathleen! It is terrific that you are journaling these heartfelt moments of your life. Your blogs flood me with memories of my kids' subtle and not so subtle milestones. Thanks for reminding me.

Susan's Losin' said...

I forgot to say that the boys are adorable. Thanks for posting the photo!