Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Travel With Children

Kids are... interesting.

I can't remember all of the crazy things the kids said and did on our trip down. Sure, Nick did ask me how I felt sleeping with no pillow on the way down. "Because there are three pillows, and I like sleeping with three pillows. So how about I sleep with three pillows, and you sleep with no pillows. Is that OK?" And Nate cartwheeled off the bench in Cici's Pizza for no apparent reason except the floor was acting as a head-magnet.

And there was also the horrible, horrifying day we went to visit Mary's grave, where we got out of the car and then Nick threw up all over the drive - we hope none of the people at the funeral (including the military guard) noticed.

Here are a few rules for myself, if I even forget and decide to do this again:

- Do not forget the sip cups.

- You are driving. It's OK to bring extra pants for the boys.

- No matter how long you spend at a rest stop, one of the kids will have to pee ten minutes after you start driving. Bring a big cup.

- If you pack snacks and bring fruit, throw it out after the first day.

- Order the boys happy meals if you must, but don't order anything for yourself. You aren't really hungry, and the boys will not eat their happy meals, they just want the toy. You can eat the cheeseburgers when they run off to the huge gerbil tubes.

- It's OK to drink soda, but switch to decaf after 3pm so you will get a good night's sleep. The same for the boys.

- Do not go hiking in your sneakers in the wet grass the day before you leave, because your sneakers will still be wet and it will make the car smell like a giant wet sneaker.


The End.

.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

One of my favorites comes from Nate who announced, "I farted" after Aunt Betty finished giving grace at dinner.

Why am I drawing blanks on some of the best ones?! Were they about sting rays? Luigi? Waffle House? Cracker Barrel? The wagon? The Park? Target?

Jules said...

Jamie, you are such and amazing brother/uncle for taking this trip with Fleen and the kids! I love the photos and the stories. Keep them coming!!