Sunday, August 02, 2009

The Reason for the Thing

One of the questions I am asked when I have imaginary interviews in my head is "Kathleen, why do you insist on dragging your young boys to Franklin, Tennessee once or twice a year, especially when it is so far away, and so difficult to spell?" To which I reply "I have an aunt living in Franklin, and try spelling Albuquerque."

I don't get to see my Aunt Betty very often, but I think about her a lot, and I wish we lived closer. I only drive down because flying is so expensive and unreliable. I'd rather know I'm going to spend two days in a car and then spend two days in the car than think I'm going to take a three hour flight and then spend eight hours on a runway only to disembark and fly to Detroit and then fly to Charlotte before finally making it to Nashville with no more diapers or juice and also they sent my bags to Fargo.

This trip would not have been possible without Jamie. When I sent the message out to my brothers and sisters asking if they wanted to join me I fully expected a chorus of NO's. But Jamie said "OK!" in that way that only Jamie can. He was great! THANKS, JAMIE!

Betty is fine. The trip was really great. The worst part was after we dropped Jamie off, when it took us six more hours to get home. Where were all these people going at noon on Saturday? The Cape? Also, our navigation system was overcome with a burning desire to see Chattanooga on our trip home, and we took a few wrong turns before we figured it out.

I'll post more photos soon.


2 comments:

Jean said...

What a loving thing to do. Your Aunt Betty looks soooo happy. You kids are great.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You all look as if you are having a great time on that couch! But I love the looks on the faces of Aunt Betty & Jamie! I think you should blow that one up & give it to me as a Christmas present!