Sunday, June 05, 2011

Birthday Party

I lose sleep over birthday parties.

Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of social anxiety disorder. Whenever I go to a children's birthday party I am able to interact and smile and chat with other parents. If the parents are too snooty and won't cooperate by making small talk I get by. I don't usually get too nervous about these things until afterwards.

After spending a length of time with other parents I often turn events over in my mind. I stress over how things went, things I should have said, things I should have done, things I should not have mentioned.... and I can't let it go. And it's too late, because these things have already been done. Besides, it's not like I'm saying anything vastly inappropriate or anything. I have no idea why I get all worked up. But I lose sleep over it. I shut my eyes in the dark, pull up the covers, and try and think of other things, but my mind always returns to some conversation or another.

Anyway, if this is how I feel about going to birthday parties, you can imagine how I feel when I'm having one for my own son.

Nicholas had his birthday party yesterday evening. And I worried. I worried and worried but I forced myself not to overplan and to keep things casual. Just invite the kids over here for pizza and cake. No bounce houses, no pony rides, no planned activities at all. Just kids at the house.

It went very well. The day warmed up and the kids ran outside. Seriously, it looked like we were raising a heard of six-year-olds. They kind of stayed in a group and would run in one direction, and then the whole flock would turn and tart running in a different direction.

Kids played on the swings, on the slide, and on the rope swing hanging off the tree out back. They ran through the grass. They demolished to toy room. A group of boys huddled with Nick around a beyblade arena and had beyblade battles or games or whatever you call them. The point is, they all seemed to know what they were doing, and were all doing the same thing, and they were all having fun. Kids didn't want to leave. Nick had a blast.

And last night, after the party, I slept like a baby.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all!! Which means you are the best party planner!

Happy Birthday, Nick!!