Wednesday, June 01, 2011

T-Ball Thunder

Both Nathan and Nicholas are playing T-ball this year.

I am full of complaints about T-ball. I admit. My biggest complaint this year being that their uniforms are white. Seriously? You're giving a team of 5 and 6 year old white shirts, letting them play in a muddy grassy field, and then telling me they need to be back every two or three days? Because I don't already have enough laundry.

I'm kidding. My kids aren't the only ones that show up wearing dirty shirts.

The other day the boys were playing ball, and there was a clap of thunder. Not a huge clap, just a little one.

I guess the rule is to stop playing as soon as there is any thunder or lightning at all. The fields are in a big, flat park, and I suppose they don't want to take any chances. But I was surprised by the speed which our team displayed in the packing up. Two minutes and we were all in our cars.

The other team, the one we were playing, stayed on the field practicing. Apparently they didn't have the same sense of urgency. The other two teams playing on the other T-ball field just kept playing through the game. Mind you, there was no rain. There wasn't even another clap of thunder for a good ten minutes. Oh, the sky got dark and scary, and later it poured, but I'm thinking we could have at least finished out the inning.

In any case, it worked out. I have to rush off the the school for a Kindergarten Orientation, so it suited me just fine. But I had prepared for it. Lillian had come with me, and we even had two cars. We had rushed through dinner to make it to the game, and we only got to play for ten minutes.

I suppose that's how baseball is. But boy, is it frustrating.

No comments: