Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gunther Goof

Gunther is afraid of thunder.

This isn't unusual for dogs, I know. Many dogs are traumatized by loud noises. When I was small my parents had an english sheepdog who used to run away every Fourth of July.

In the past, Gunther has tried to climb into the bed with us. He has forced himself between my legs and the toilet when I use the bathroom. He has flat out refused to go out and do his own business.

Steve was away the last time we had a thunder storm. It wasn't a very bad storm, but it did have a lot of rain. When I woke in the morning, the sun was out, and I got ready for my run. I laced my running shoes and realized something was different. Where was Gunther?

Well, he was under the bed. Gunther used to climb under our bed quite often. We finally chased him out because he kept scratching and our mattress would get thumped from underneath. So I really didn't think anything of it when I saw him there, other than he usually follows me around in the morning, determined that this be the day I would feed him before my run.

An hour later, I climbed the steps to the rest of the house. The boys were awake and playing in the living room. But Gunther was nowhere. "Where is the dog?" I asked. The boys shrugged.

The dog was under the bed. Whining. And stuck.

Yes, he was stuck under the bed. I have no idea how he got under there, but he couldn't manage to crawl out without scraping his back on the frame, and apparently it was too painful for him, because he kept backing up.

I had to lift the bed frame, which is kind of heavy, to let him climb out.

He was too embarrassed to thank me.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hee hee hee! Of course he was embarrassed! You should have taken pictures!