Sunday, May 22, 2011

I'm Still Here

I didn't mention it beforehand, but now that it is May 22nd and I am still here, and no one has been Raptured, I want to just a couple of things.

OK, first of all, I need to say that I didn't really think the world was going to end yesterday. Mom, you can breathe, it's OK. I also don't personally believe there is such a thing as The Rapture.

But I do hold, in my heart, a sense of something more than myself. A sense of mystery and gratitude. What the heck does this mean?

Well, it means that yesterday, as I was scratching in my yard, trying to figure out how to apply mulch, ruining my fingernails and one of my 2 pairs of good jeans, and sneezing up a storm because I have my annual spring cold, I listened to my boys play. The game they were playing was complicated, and it involved bad guys, flipping a frisbee, running down the driveway, and arguing non-stop over who's turn it was.

"The world could end right now," I thought. "If the world ended right now, I would be at peace."

And before you jump all over me, no, I didn't expect the world to end. Even if there were a rapture I'm sure I'd be here to see the sun rise. More importantly, the feeling didn't last. I woke this morning with bad hair. I yelled at my kids before dinner. The world still has troubles, some that can't be seen for red political tape. But I had that moment.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You are in an enviable place.

Susan's Losin' said...

God was in that moment of awareness, not some place outside yourself. You've got to celebrate those delicious moments.