Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Impatient

For days Nathan has been asking me to teach him to play this song on the piano. It's a hard song, one of the last few pages in Nick's book. I tried explaining this to him, but he was adamant. So I gave in, thinking he might actually be able to do some of it?

I was wrong. Nathan gave it one go, made a mistake, and started sobbing. I think he thought he would just be able to sit down and bang it out. And of course nothing on this earth is like that. He was so disappointed, it broke my heart. I tried convincing him to try an easier song, but he really really wanted something that - get ready for it - Nick couldn't do! That's right. He wants to out do his brother.

Oh, Brother.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

O, no. Poor Nate. And poor you too! With 3 boys, this is your future. I know you have explained many times to all of them that each one will have distinct & different talents. But maybe Nate needs to find his special talent now or just exercise it now to rebuild his usual confidence.

g. fox said...

you know what Nate can do? he can fall flat on his face and then laugh about it and resume playing. not only can nick not do that... I CAN'T EVEN DO THAT. the kid is a rockstar. love to you both.