Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Audio Book By It's Cover

When I was driving down to New York a couple of weeks ago, I picked up some audio books for the drive.

Side note: "Audio Book" is awkward for me to say. I really liked "Books On Tape" only now there is no more tape and everything is either on CD or just goes right onto your ipod from itunes. You know? Like, freaky. I still sometimes say "book on tape."

I picked up two I thought the boys would like. The Magic Treehouse, and Percy Jackson And The Lighting Thief. I really liked Percy Jackson, by the way.

I also picked up a grown-up audio book. Only I didn't have time to browse, so I had to quickly just grab something off the shelf based on the cover and the title and the few words I could read of the description before Andy ran out the front door.

My taste in books is a little strange. I like a lot of different things. But in books read aloud, I prefer something gripping. I like something that would make a good B movie.

When I read a description of people disappearing off a plane, I snatched it up. Half the people on the plane just vanishing? Sounds good.

But the book wasn't what I expected.

Days later, I started telling Steve about it. "So I thought it would be interesting," I said. "A bunch of people vanish off a plane. It's called Left Behind-"

"Wait," Steve says. "Isn't this a Kirk Cameron movie?"

Yes. Yes it is. I was picturing ghosts, aliens, or vampires. But no, I picked a book about The Rapture. A well known book, in fact. The first in a series of sixteen books. And a Kirk Cameron movie.

Oddly, The Rapture to me is just about as likely as zombies rising from the grave or aliens landing and abducting or destroying half the population. So it's still working for me. As a book on tape. Or science fiction.

There are a lot of other things I could say here, but I would probably offend somebody, so I'm going to just leave this with my awkward and odd choice of listening material.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I got nothin...nothin that wouldn't be offensive to some of the people some of the time.