Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What I meant to say...

I am a little embarrassed by my post on Sunday. I meant for the post to be about one thing, but it ended up being about something completely different. I have my excuses. I woke too early. I wrote the post too early. I had a cold and a cold-medicated sleep hangover.

No, instead, I was supposed to write a different embarrassing post.

I am going to get kind of weird here, in a moment. Sorry.

The post was supposed to be about people, and how we live our lives. Although few people actually believed the world was going to end, I watched (on TV) a few people get stopped on the street and asked what they would do with their last day.

And of course the answers were stupid. "Um... hang out with friends, I guess?" and "Shop!" I rolled my eyes. But honestly, I couldn't have given a better answer. There is no answer.

Some people actually believe they will be judged at the end of their lives, or the end of the world. Many do not. I do not, personally, believe this. Of those who believe, many might insist that this way of thinking, the thought that they will be called on their life's actions, keep them good and virtuous, and provide a sense of morality. I am not a believer. I do not think that anyone is waiting at the end of my life with a report on my rights and wrongs. But I do think that I make efforts to live my live in a way that is fair to all people and creatures. This is not something I need a book or a creed to explain to me, but something I feel in my heart.

I don't think I said what I mean to say. But before my theology vs. humanist opinion bit run amok, I stop here.

No comments: