Thursday, June 02, 2011

Mental Challenge

Every day, at nap time, I settle into bed with Nathan and Andrew and begin by reading them a story of their choice.

I love my children. I have to begin by saying that. And I also honestly believe that reading to one's children is important, not only as a gateway to reading, but as a bonding experience.

But my boys pick the most boring books.

Not only that, but they pick them again and again and again. Even the most charming and entertaining book can induce screams after twenty or twenty five readings.

This afternoon, as I settled to read Tokyo Mater yet again, followed by Iron Man Saves The Day, a familiar feeling settled over me. How can I describe this feeling? It's like I want to scream. It's definitely a feeling of not wanting to do what I want to do. But I know that this thing must be done, that there is no rushing it, but that it will be over when it is over, so I just need to grit my teeth and get through it.

And then I realized when else I got this feeling.

When I get on the treadmill in the morning.

It's not that I'm tired. It's not that I'm exhausted and can't take another step, or even that I;m out of breath. I am Just, That, Bored! I mean, I run for fifty minutes, and after the first fifteen I appreciate some mental stimulation. But there isn't much around on a treadmill at 5:45 am. It's the same four walls. The same workout music. The same everything. And I have more than half and hour to go. I just have to keep going and know that it will be over when it's over, and there's not much I can do to speed it along, other than bend time.

It's a mental thing.

And I use this ability nightly when I read bedtime stories to my kids. "What, Bakugan again? No, of course I don't mind! Whatever gets you reading, Sweetheart!"

3 comments:

Jamie said...

You're a trooper.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Jamie's right & I agree whole-heartedly! But have you tried a chapter book with them? Are they too young now? Do they write chapter books for grammar schoolers? And for you, how about a book on tape or cd or something like that while you run?? But it all comes down to You are the best Mommy!

Susan's Losin' said...

I remember that reading feeling and didn't like it either. What about a little TV to take the boredom away while you are running? That works for me at the gym. Well, it would work for me if I could get rid of the feeling that I don't want to go!