Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bug Spray



Spring and Summer bring bugs.


My kids hate bugs. They are actually afraid of them.
A fear of wasps will actually keep Nick indoors on a nice sunny day, and Andy has come wailing out of his room at 9pm because there is a MOTH on the CEILING!

I could be more sympathetic to these phobias. I had my own as a kid, after all. I was terrified of ghosts, and for years I was positive every airp
lane flying overhead was actually the earthquake that would do us all in. But somehow I forget all this when all three kids come shrieking into the kitchen, terrified because they fly they saw in the living room might actually be a killer bee.

All phobias aside, we do seem to have our s
hare of mosquitos and ticks. Just a stroll out of water the tomato plants can bring me back with ticks under my jeans. So when we are planning on spending more than a few moments outdoors, I use bug spray.

But somehow, I have the wrong stuff. I pur
chased DEEP WOODS OFF, which apparently contains harsher chemicals than the family friendly stuff I usually get. The plus side is: more effective. The lighter stuf keeps a few bugs away, but it doesn't sem to last long, and the more determined ones don't mind it at all. The down side is: it smells more. A lot more. And it feels sticky. And worst of all, it TASTES bad.

I feel the need to mention the taste because I keep ending up with it in my mouth. Touch your skin for any reason after applying it, and it's on your fingers. Apparently I bring my hands to my mouth or face a lot. I can taste it when I lick my lips. It's poison, and I'm ending up with it in my mouth. I can't help but think of how much my kids end up swallowing.

As soon as I put it on, all I can think of is how soon I get to wash it off.



No comments: