Saturday, June 18, 2011

End Of The Year

When I was a child, it seemed like the end of the school year was such a big deal. The last week of school wasn't really school at all, but extended recess. I even remember my fifth grade teacher, a sort of tyrant, taking us to central park to play for hours, and even letting us take off our school jackets in the summer heat! OK, you might not get how big of a deal that was, but for him, it was a HUGE let-down-your-hair-and-have-another-drink kind os gesture.

It dawned on me the other day that my kids were going through the same thing. Nick stopped bringing home the usual charts and reading words, and there was more outdoor time. There was beach day, PJ day, board game day, and a huge party at school with burgers and a DJ. I just felt so disconnected because life for me was just the same...

When I started realizing that the last few days were approaching, I started scrambling for teacher-gifts. We had to give them SOMEthing, but we have so many teachers. Each child has a teacher and an aid. Not to mention the lady who runs the school, and all the helpers that love my children so much they chase them down at the Strawberry Festival and give them extra face paint. Then there's the bus driver and the gymnastics teachers we have known for years. Lucky for me we visited a chocolate store that sells chocolate covered everything (help me!).

And now they are here. Here with me. All summer long.


1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

O, my! Just open the back door, keep the tent up in the yard & tell them for the summer they are Plains Indians who will live outdoors with Gunther!! You can hose them down once a week or just turn on the sprinkler & they will take care of that themselves!! Or bring them to NYC to visit!!!