Monday, June 06, 2011

More Gunther Grumbles

I should change the name of this blog to "Gunther, My Insane And Insanely Annoying Paranoid Dog."

Something has happened to our dog. I don't know what it is. He won't tell us. But he's freaking out.

Remember when he got stuck under our bed? He got scared and the crawled underneath and could not figure out how to get out?

Well, one would think that, after such an incident, one would stay away from the underneath of beds for awhile. But two days later, he woke us in the middle of the night whining and barking, once again stuck under the bed. We let him out, and laughed at how stupid he was.

The next night, it happened AGAIN!

We lifted the frame and Gunther got out, but he would not settle down. He kept pacing and whining and then - this was the kicker - TRYING TO GET BACK UNDER THE BED! Steve and I, despite being super human beings, do, in fact, need to sleep sometimes, and that time usually includes 2:30am. Eventually we tried to get back to sleep, and Gunther once again got stuck under the bed, and started barking - from under the bed, mind you. There is no ignoring this.

Steve lifted the bed, but at this point he was so irritated that Gunther didn't want to be anywhere near him, so he took his time scooting as far away from Steve as possible before making his way out of the bed, making Steve even angrier because here he was at 3am, lifting the bed frame for a stupid dog who couldn't figure it out.

We then shut Gunther out of the room, but he just walked into the boys' room and barked at them. At 4am.

I went to let him out. It was light enough for me to see him wandering through the grass, and he didn't seem too nervous out there. He also refused to come back when I called him to come in. And I was tired. So I left him out there.

Twenty minutes later, he was ready to come back in. Be he lacks our patience. He sat there barking at the door nonstop, so I had to go get him.

The next day I barricaded the underneath of the bed with boxes of books for the library and clothes for storage and art projects that are half-finished. I also looked up "Paranoid dog" and "Crazy dog" on the internet. I brushed him and gave him his frontline. He was quiet for one night.

But last night he started barking and whining again. Steve and I had talked about it, and we had agreed to ignore it. Simply because we don't want him to be rewarded for the behavior, you know? If he gets the idea that he can just bark in the middle of the night and go out to play... well, we'd be done for.

So... I'm tired right now. And I think my dog is insane. So if anyone has any ideas of what to do or what might be wrong with our dog... we'd love to hear them.




No comments: