Thursday, August 25, 2011

Artless

I hate my kitchen cabinets.

They are completely functional, but they are quirky. The drawers aren't in exactly right, so over time, as I pull the drawers open to get silverware, a pile of sawdust collects on the serving bowls stored in the cabinets underneath.

They are also white, which menas that fingerprints collect very quickly around the doorknobs.

Anyway, kitchen cabinets are expensive, but more importantly, they are a pain to replace. So I've been putting it off. For a number of years.

Instead, I have taped the kid's artwork onto the cabinets, which gave the kitchen a colorful, if cluttered, look.

When the cabinets were full, I started taping artwork onto the large, empty wall.

I soon ran out of space. And some of the projects had started to fade.

Yesterday, I took all the artwork down. I was thinking that the new school year was starting soon, and I would cover the walls with the most current works of art. The stuff I took down went into the recycle bin, or into a "save" pile. I'll go through the pile later and weed it out more. My plan is to frame a few of the most colorful pictures, and to cover the wall with framed kid's artwork. I saw this once in a couple's home, and it was so fabulous! The effect won't be the same, because our ceilings are about four feet lower, but still...

Anyway, for now, our kitchen looks so different. "It' looks like we're moving!" Nick said. That, and I re-discovered the hole in the plaster in the pantry when I took down a construction paper sun.

1 comment:

Susan's Losin' said...

Look into getting just the cabinet doors and drawer fronts replaced instead of the whole thing. When you are ready to totally remodel your kitchen that's the time to get all new stuff. The sawdust issue made me smile...been there, done that, but I can't remember which house.