Monday, August 29, 2011

Beach Adventures

Every year Lillian and her sister get a house on Hampton Beach for a couple of weeks. This works out quite well for us, because Hampton is close enough for us to make a day trip, but it's nice to be able to stay over and hang out at the beach a little longer. It's also nice to be able to have some fun at the beach, take a shower, and then head out for an ice cream with no sand in your... you know... armpits.

Heading out the the beach means different things for different people. When I was kid, it meant bringing a towel and a book. These days, I add sunscreen to that. Apparently many people feel one should also bring a chair, to sit in. And an umbrella - one lady from church was surprised when I told her it never occurred to me to even buy one. Also, many people bring coolers with snacks and drinks. I admit I've buckled to this one, and now pack thermoses and snacks myself.

On the other hand, I often leave the book at home, because I'm too busy keeping an eye on my kids. The beach is just not as relaxing as it used to be when my goal was to get a tan.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

It's not as relaxing for you as it used to be, but you are creating memories for your boys by letting them freely enjoy this time. You really are a great Mom!
PS You'll look for them on that beach once they go off on their own...but you have time.