Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oh, Deer



I was standing in the living room early one morning, lifting these dumbbells I have - I like to bring them up to the living room so I can tell if the boys are getting too loud.

I do this facing the TV, which is odd, because the TV is off. But behind the TV is a window. And out the window was a deer.

We get lots of deer here, but usually they are down by the brook. There is a ton of land, and most of the time the animals stick close to the brook, rarely venturing further than the shed. They don't want to get too close to the houses and the street and the cars. Or the dog, really, who was stretched out on the rug, blissfully unaware of the fact that a large beast was yards from the house. (I guess this wasn't as threatening as the next door neighbor coming home from work, or the lady across the street getting a UPS delivery)


I tried to get a good picture, but the window was in the way. I moved to an open window, but managed to make enough noise with the camera that she heard me and ran away. But here are the best of the photos I got. Including one of her baby.





Since I have taken these photos, Steve had the opportunity to have a run-in with the deer himself. Or rather, Frank had the run-in, and Steve watched. See, Frank had escaped and was wandering in the woods you can see in the photos. When Steve called Gunther in, Frank knew it was his chance to get inside for the night and made for the house. But the deer was in the way.

Steve said the deer started huffing and grunting at Frank, and for a moment he thought Frank was about to be stomped. He wasn't, but I know deer, especially mother does, can be dangerous when they feel their babies are in danger. And now I'm afraid my cats or my dog will get stomped by a crazy parental deer.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ooo, so bucolic! I'm looking out over a concrete yard & garbage cans!

Jamie said...

Beautiful! But don't let Frank tick that doe off.